The western Sydney Harbour foreshore will be returned to Sydney, for the first time in over 100 years.
Barangaroo Point Reserve in years gone by was an industrial precinct but in July, the site will re–open as a six hectare harbour foreshore park.
The design of the park, by landscape architect Peter Walker, is inspired by the original harbour headland that existed before the development of the area around 1836.
The park’s slope ‘the stargazer lawn’ will reconnect the heights of Millers Point to the rocky harbour foreshore, as it once did before the existence of the port to serve industry.
The park will be something not found anywhere else in Sydney. It features two coves; Marinawi Cove and Nawi Cove, a sandstone foreshore constructed using 6,500 sandstone blocks quarried on site and a recreated bushland of 75,000 native plants, most of these have already been planted.
Within the headland at Barangaroo Point, an internal space has been preserved for use as a civic or cultural space, in the short term the space may host temporary events.
Wulumay Walk will become one of Sydney’s greatest harbour walks, as people get to enjoy walking around the headland from the wharves of Walsh Bay. The walk is linked to the greater 14km Sydney Harbour Walk which stretches from Wolloomoollo to the ANZAC Bridge.
Source: News Release, New South Wales Government, 22 April, 2015